16 Feb 20 Hellblade Questions Answered
Over the weekend we asked the Hellblade community to give us their questions for today’s Q&A. We tried to make a video answering the questions, but we found that it ended up being way too long and we could only answer a handful of questions. So instead, here is a blog post with 20 questions and 20 answers:
1. @2fastkiko: How the PC verions of Hellblade will run?
2. @Hammad_KK: Hi! Wanted to ask if you will be going for 30 FPS with Hellblade, or will you push it to 60?
It is too early to say at this stage.
3. FrozenHarlequin: How important do you find the symbiosis of gameplay and story? How closely will these two aspects be linked in Hellblade?
In an ideal world, there would be a blur between the two and that is something we are striving for, probably one of the biggest challenges we face.
4. FrozenHarlequin: Will the game feature QTEs?
5. Razorc03: Can you go over a typical work day? How many hours does NT require of its employees daily?
8.5 hours with an hour for lunch. We discourage crunch and mostly avoid it but when it happens, we give time off in lieu. The Hellblade team starts every morning with a quick stand up meeting to talk about priorities and any issues that need to be resolved.
6. FreshRevenge: Will there be platforming?
No, at least not to the extent that you would call it platforming.
7. FreshRevenge: Will there be companion AI?
No. Companion AI like we did in Enslaved that doesn’t annoy the hell out of you is a massive undertaking
8. FreshRevenge: Will there be long range weapons like bows or staffs or some sort of rifle type weapon?
No. You have one sword and you have to master it. That’s it.
9. Grab: Is Melina doing the mo-cap for Senua in the whole game or she did it just for trailer?
She was just standing in the for the trailer. We have an actress to play Senua for the game.
10. Grab: In what ways the experience gained making your previous games is influencing the development of Hellblade?
We take everything we learn from all our previous games and aim to make better mistakes 🙂
11. Digman: About modding stuff and mapping, Hellblade will be fully moddable? Will there be any kind of survival mode to which fans can make maps for?
We do want to support the modding community but not sure to what extent we can. This is new territory for us.
12. u.o.e.n.me: will the storytelling be told only in cutscenes or will there be elements like item descriptions, books etc that add depth to the story / backgrounds.
We are still working a lot of this out but we are investigating different ways of telling story as we don’t intend to be overly reliant on cutscenes.
13. u.o.e.n.me: Will there even be some sort of items/levels/abilities or will it be purely skill-based?
Purely skill based
14. GeminEye: One of my favorite things to do in a game is have the character walk slowly as I admire the environment. What made this so great in Heavenly Sword was the unique quality and characterization in how Nariko walked versus how Kai walked. There was so much personality in that. Will Senua (spelling?) have a similar quality to her walking? Would you consider having an animation that plays if the character stands idle (even if it’s as simple as the character just observing her surroundings)?
Yes we agree and she will have a very definitive personality in her animations.
15. @SSSensational: Will the game have multiple difficulty settings?
We want to make sure the game is tough to play and we’d prefer to just have one difficulty mode but that could be unfair to some. We’ll stay open minded until we have some playtest data come through but bear in mind that this is a game aimed at seasoned players.
16. @HeavenlyNariko: Will the game have photomode for PS4 & trophies?
Yes! That’s the plan.
17. @HeavenlyNariko: Will Senua have any superstyle moves similar to Nariko’s from Heavenly Sword?
Tam: We will do special attacks of various sorts but I want to make sure each one feels immediate, interactive and strategic. I think the Superstyle moves took you out of the flow of combat so we’re looking for better ways of adding specials.
18. @Lryix: Will the light bar, Speaker and/or touch pad be used in the game?
We’ll look at those things but we don’t have concrete plans at the moment
Tam: I can never answer this. It always comes from several directions, movies, comics, history personal experiences…I can list these out but it won’t get to the germ of the idea.
20. @OrangeFlavoured: Is the combat going to be combo heavy like in DmC or be more similar to dueling
Well there won’t be combo lists so you’ll have to figure out how to fight. Generally speaking the character will do what you ask her to do so it will be closer to Street Fighter than Tekken on that front.