02 Feb Senua: My most detailed project so far! By LadyLemonCosplay
When I first saw the amazing pictures of Lady Lemon’s Senua cosplay costume my first thought was that we have to know how it was made. So here you are, a guest post from the creator herself!
When I first knew about the Hellblade project I felt very enthusiastic about cosplaying Senua. I didn’t research much at first, so I was one of those believing that Senua was a grown up Kai! When I realized that it was a new character (reviewing the development diaries from Ninja Theory) I felt even more compelled to do it! I sent a message to the developers, because by that time (July 2014 perhaps?) there was not much information about it. They sent me some reference materials that really helped me recreating the character.
This project required all my knowledge as a cosmaker, but as an FX make up artist as well. I created everything from scratch, from the belts to the armour parts (hidden between the fur XD) and the weird head piece!
I used eva foam for the rigid parts, all of them. I usually cut the foam, mould it and paste it with cement. Then I integrate the rest of the pieces, like coins, chains, and even hair.
The dress was a challenge because there’s no fabric of the right colour, the dress (more like a garment) might have been white or light cream coloured, but due to the battles and a fighting existence, dyed with dirt, blood and sweat. So I used a light fabric and then dyed it with several colours.
The head piece was even more difficult to achieve than the dress, because of the high level of detail and texture. I added texture to the foam using paper and glue, a soldering iron and plastic strings.
Even the dreadlocks were attached to the headpiece, made one by one with twisted hair strips and a heat gun, attached with hot silicon.
Dreadlocks… flying dreadlocks! I wanted the hair to fly as in the images, because they add amazing movement to the character. I admit that I wanted more, but I couldn’t make it on time for the photoshoot; I used wire to hold them up (the hair is glued to the wires)
The sword was made in polyphane, carved and hardened with plastic putty.
The make up. It is one of most important parts of the cosplay, but when I arrived at the photoshoot, I realized that I forgot my make up kit back home; so I used regular make up and some acrylic paint. It worked well in the end! Final detail was blood. Dry blood, and some fresh blood 😉
And of course, the photographer (Fernando Brischetto from PhotographesSansFrontieres) did an amazing job finding the right angles and making a wonderful edition!